Re: smog advice

To: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Subject: Re: smog advice
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:46:06 -0700 (MST)
You don't mention your other prep work, but another thing that has alays helped
all of my cars to lower everything has been fresh oil.  If you didn't change it
right before your test, it might pull you down enough. How low do you have to
go?

Other advice I have heard from the guys doing the tests, if your car didn't
have platium plugs from the dealer, don't put them on during a test.

Another quote from one tester:  "I have NEVER seen a car with a new (replaced)
cat fail."
(I had to have one installed on a car that had previously had it removed, they
caught it when it failed the test the second time, after having passed for 4 or
5 years. Cost me about $150 installed and it passed from then on.)

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Garner, Joseph P. wrote:

> hi everyone,
>
> just got the 79 'b pre-smog checked today, and it scored too high on CO at
> 25mph (but was okay at 15mph). This bemuses me because i thought i had it
> set pretty lean (any leaner and it backfires occasionally). Hydrocarbon
> emissions were very low, oxygen levels were very low (0.0 at 25mph) and so
> were NO emissions. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///