RE: Audi/VW 1.8T into MGB

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kmr@pil.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Audi/VW 1.8T into MGB
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:51:28 -0800
Kai:

        When my Dodge Ram 2500 body falls to dust around it's Cummins Turbo
Diesel engine, I'm going to look at fitting it into the MGB GT bodyshell
sitting in the side yard.
        300 HP, 500 ft/lbs of torque.

        Seating will be a bit tough, but imagine the looks at the truck stop
when it pulls up for fuel.

: )   KD

> Now being the owner of a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T I can say I one
> thing.  I LOVE
> IT!  How about stuffing one of these lovely 20valve motors
> into an MGB,
> putting in one of those aftermarket ECUs and you'll have
> 250hp and 275lb/ft
> out of 1.8L in a nice little MGB.  It seems that the
> late-model scrap yards
> are charging around $1500-$2000 for 1.8T motors... not a bad
> alternative if
> you're thinking about doing a Rover V8 rebuild.
>
> And I can also say that the Tiptronic gearbox is not a
> gimmick, it is quite
> nice actually; no need to worry about over revving or
> downshifting when
> coming to a stop.  Then again, it is still a little slower
> than a manual
> gearbox... but with 100hp/liter of power you don't notice it.
>  (the 2002
> Jettas got 180hp up from 150hp in the 2001s for the 1.8T models).
>
> Now of course, don't cut up a perfectly happy original B to
> do this... there
> are plenty of B's that have been missing their drivetrains
> for many years
> now and those are more than suitable for conversions, without
> feeling guilty
> about originality (or lack of).
>
> Anyone willing to divert from the beaten path of typical Rover V8
> conversions?  If I hadn't just spent my life savings (and a
> little extra
> from mom) on the Jetta, I'd consider doing it myself... but then again
> college kid schedule prohibits one from having time consuming hobbies.
>
> We'll see how fast the car fund can recuperate, and perhaps I
> can somehow
> get such a engine swap passed as a Senior Design Project as a
> mechanical
> engineering student.  Afterall, I've seen a few other SDP's,
> which weren't
> quite as challenging, get approval.
>
> Kai

///