RE: RE: Audi/VW 1.8T into MGB.....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RE: Audi/VW 1.8T into MGB.....
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:51:32 -0500
Dan Hackney <dhh2c@virginia.edu> wrote:
>Regarding the transaxle difficulties, would it be possible to somehow
>use part of a Quattro drivetrain to send power to the rear wheels?  I
>don't know the details of the setup, just wondering out loud...

Now that has been a back-burner idea of mine for a while -- a Quattro MGB.  A
quattro from the '80s (when Audis were 5-cylinder versions of the VW motor)
would be a good starting point -- motor is longitudinal, not transverse.

And most VW motors of the water-cooled era are swappable without much worry --
the 1.8t or a VR6 will bolt right up to a '78 Rabbit transmission (or an '83
Quattro coupe, or whatever) with no fuss.

The front wheels, of course, would be a bit of a problem.  But I don't think it
would be impossible to design a new crossmember/suspension that would allow
that old '60s rally car to carry '80s rally running gear (and an '00s motor)
Whee!

And thanks, Kai, for bringing up the subject of putting other motors in MGBs.
I think if I went to the trouble of a swap, I'd want something a little more
advanced than a Buick motor from the Eisenhower administration.  (Flame suit
on!)

When I got my MG (I was 14, 1988 so I don't think there was a list around to
join yet...) I was looking for an alfa, and had a hard time with the idea of a
sports car with a cast-iron pushrod motor.  Don't get me wrong -- I love my MG
-- but I still think the motor is a silly little lump.

Even by 1963 standards, it was a bit of a compromise.  Going on 40 years
later...

Matt