heater valve question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: heater valve question
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:40:08 -0500 (EST)
Happy holidays all,
        My 76B (4 years mine) has never generated internal heat when I
turned the heater knob to full on.  Given summer driving and a warm
leather jacket for early spring and late fall, it hasn't been a problem,
but the lack of heat has been a mystery.

After going over Haynes and Bently, I did the 1st step. My daughter sat in
the car and turned the knob while I watched the valve (now why didn't I
think of that before?).

Nothing moved.

By hand, I moved the valve stem connected to the cable fully clockwise and
fully counterclockwise. In the fully counterCW position, a stem protrudes
out of the valve and after running the car till it showed heat on the
T-guage, I actually felt heat for the very first time.

My qustion is in resetting the position of the cable. The options are to
set the length of the cable with the knob and heat full on and then the
cable movement to turn the heat off is a 'pull' or should I set the length
with the knob and heat off and then turning the heat on is a 'push' which
is, IMHO,  a fairly stupid design.

My other question is how do I lubricate the cable while connected at both
ends and within the cable jacket?

Other notes:
I sprayed WD40 into the valve mechanism for 3 days running and now when I
set full heat on the knob and valve by hand, turning the heat off by the
knob moves the valve about 1/2 way to off. Does this mean the valve is
shot and I should replace it?  Can it be rebuilt or re'lubed"? It should
move effortlessly, should it not?

Any hints, comments, whatever will be entertained in the light offered!

Happy holidays,

Bill
'76B
NJ - US (curious to know where we're from)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///