Re: Engine Rebuild

To: turf42@home.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Mromgbtkd@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:03:08 EST
       I have rebuilt a 75. These are some of the things to consider.
 Head: New valves, Hardened exhaust seats, Bronze valve guides, Shaving head
to straighten. About $200.
        Block: New rings for sure, Maybe or maybe not having a bore job. The
bore must be measured, New pistons are a good idea.18gk type have higher
compression. If rods and crank are good new bearings all around. Rods can be
resized cheaper than buying new. Ridge reaming if the ridge is .002 or less.
New spring for relief valve allways.$200-$600.
       A good machine shop is the hardest thing to find. I have had heads
cracked by a machine shop that had a 22 year old do the work (I took the shop
to small claims court). Look for gray hair on the machinist and experience
with British cars.
       anywhere from $500 to about $1000 will give you a well done job. Don't
forget to do the carb at the same time. A dual su conversion is a nice
addition and very drivable.

Mike Olsen
Chicagoland MG club Driving event coordinator

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///