Re: Zero Oil Pressure

To: "wcameyer" <wcameyer@email.msn.com>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Zero Oil Pressure
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 18:52:14 -0500
> 2. What else should I look for?

Unlikely to be the cause but still possible as it happened to me, the bloody
oil pressure relief valve piston got stuck in its bore.  As part of a late
Midget engine refreshing, I replaced the bearings as well as the relief
valve and spring.  Well apparently the relief valve piston from Moss (this
was the summer of 2000) was ever so slightly larger in diameter on the head,
thus resulting in it getting stuck in the bore.

As with all rebuilds, it is advisable to keep the old parts until you are
sure the new parts are working properly.  In my case, it was useful to
compare the old relief valve piston with the new (for measurement).  I then
ended up polishing the entire OLD relief valve piston and reinstalling it
with the new spring, and I immediately had satisfactory oil pressure once
again.

Although, it was a scary few minutes when I thought I'd have to drop the pan
and look at all the bearings again!

Kai

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list