Uh-oh! Compression Check

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Uh-oh! Compression Check
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:05:21 -0600
I just checked the compression on the 18v motor in the '67, below are the
results

#1 - 125
#2 - 120
#3 - 125
#4 - 100

I know that low reading on #4 points to trouble, valves or rings,
right?   Should I keep trying to start it?  What are my next steps?

As for other things, the plus are a grimy black, but not bad terribly so,
of course I don't know how much they were run.

Also, my oil pressure only gets up to about 20 pounds when turning it
over.  I thought that I remember my Sprite getting better pressure than
that when I spun the engine w/o plugs in.

I can hear that the fuel pump is continually running when the ignition is
on.  I checked the fuel lines and gas is getting through to the carbs.  I
thought that the fuel pump was supposed to stop running when the pressure
reached a certain point.

Other things, the lights work, the wipers work, and the horns makes a noise
that sounds like they are stuck.

Thanks
Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp 'vert
1967 MGB

New Website!!!!  All New Format!!! All New Location!!!!
http://carport.virtualave.net/

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///