RE: Uh-oh! Compression Check

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Uh-oh! Compression Check
From: "A.J.G." <ajginsburg@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:45:31 -0500
Listers

This brings up a question that I have.

Just purchased a 73 MGB -- Drove it for a while and it drives great.

Had it to the mechanic after I drove it about 200 miles, just for a general
check to appease the wife.  (I am not much of a mechanic, i just like
driving the cars).  Anyone, everything came back good excepth the
compression numbers seem to be a bit low.  They came up to 85 85 100 90.  I
seem to remember hearing something about 140 to 150 as normal numbers

Honestly, I had no reason to suspect that the compression numbers were low.
The car accelerates well and drives really smooth.  The only problem that it
seems to have, is occasionally, (maybe, every other to every third time that
I am stopped), the idle drops dangerously low that the car stalls out.  No
problem starting it up again, and once it is going, there is no other sign
of trouble.

Anyway, while the compression topic is out there, I thought I would throw my
issue into the ring.

Could the the low compression be indicative a serious problem, or, since the
car does appear to run fine, should I just leave well enough alone ??  Also,
does anyone have any suggestions on the intermitten low idle-ing ??

Thanks in advance

AJG
73 MGB

///