Re: End of the year awards... Message CAN be traced!

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: End of the year awards... Message CAN be traced!
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 00:03:26 -0500
Albert and Enrique:

Just saw the e-mail threads on the "Awards Committee" thing. I wouldn't do
you the discourtesy of including any part of that message in my response
here. However, I AM sorry that Jack Asses like that exist - and I'm sure
that the great majority of the other MG people on this list feel as I do.
The "Awards Committee" thing was NOT funny at all. People such as you are
what this list is all about - and one of the very reasons I enjoy it so
much. I'm very glad to help, share my knowledge and to participate on the
list with you! Please feel confident that your presence, your questions and
your remarks are welcome by the great majority of us.

The way to stop this kind of thing is with INFORMATION - on how to discover
who is actually the sender of an e-mail message!

YES, THIS message - and most all e-mail CAN be accurately traced!  - and
it's NOT that difficult either!

Shown below at the end of this message is the complete header for the
original "Awards Committee" e-mail message in question. It shows everything
someone would need to accurately determine who the actual sender is.

Maybe this jerk didn't know that his message CAN be traced.

Here in general is how to go about it:

As an example, in Outlook there is a method that you can use to get this
complete header info (the full path of the message, from originator to
current). In Outlook, open the message. Next click on View, then Options. A
window will open called Message Options and at the bottom will appear
"Internet headers". ALL the trail of the message will appear there,
INCLUDING IP addresses.

While e-mail addresses CAN easily be faked or sent anonymously, IP addresses
cannot be faked. The IP addresses that are shown in an e-mail message are
the REAL IP addresses where this message originated from and later might
have passed through.

Some individuals and business networks use a single static IP address and it
can be traced by going to Internic, one of the major registers of Internet
IP addresses. Internic has them all and can tell you who the owner of the IP
address is!

http://www.internic.net/cgi/whois?whois_nic=mx4.mail.yahoo.com&type=domain

Enter the IP address in the blank fields and it will report back to you who
the owner is!

However, most Internet service providers (Earthlink, BellSouth, AOL, etc)
assign a random IP address each time a person logs on to the Internet (This
random assignment is called DHCP). The good news though is that ISP's keep
logs on this information. The logs will determine who was assigned that
particular IP address at the specific moment the message was sent!!! A
search of the IP address through Internic will at least provide the name of
the Domain or ISP that owns the IP address, so that they can be contacted
for the trace of the logs of who was using it at the time in question!

Happy New Year all!!

-Jerry Erbesfield
MIS Director
Prudential Georgia Realty