Re:Rod Length

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Rod Length
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 00:04:15 EST
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> One of the benefits of a long stroke engine is that
> its rod angle to the crankshaft angle isn't as high as a short rod / long
> stroke motor.  This reduces piston sideload on the bores, and you end up
> with an engine that lasts longer and is more comfortable at high RPMs
> because the connecting rod doesn't have to change its angle as drastically.

I take issue with your assertion that a longer stroke engine is more
comfortable at high rpm.

In fact the shorter the stroke, within reason, the better - the piston
sideload is not the most important factor in ability to sustain high rpm.

Bill
(Islero - bore 82 mm, stroke 62 mm, stock redline 7800 rpm)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///