Re: Crank pulley part deux, and PROFILING in California

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Crank pulley part deux, and PROFILING in California
From: "Eugene Harrison" <eugh@2xtreme.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:16:55 -0800
"E.Claure" wrote:

> Hi list,   I was told by moss that they can no longer supply crank pulleys
> for 75 year models and up. I took a look at apt web site and they go for
> 200$ !  I found a shop locally that only make custom stainless steel
> pulleys. They tell me that based on the one I have they can make a new one
> for 80$ However, they are unsure if they can make it with a rubber seal as
> the original. Will the lack of this rubber seal be very detrimental to my
> engine? thanks, Enrique.
The harmonic balancer is required to prevent broken crankshafts. I too am in a
position to need one as mine is slipping. I had put a timing mark on the hub
portion of the damper about two years ago. Now, due to California's new smog
law that "PROFILES" certain models as likely to be polluters or HEP (High
Emitter Profile), I must take my '79 RBB to a merciless "Check Only" smog
station. My all stock '79 passed the tailpipe test very cleanly but was failed
due to "Non factory timing mark, Cannot verify timing" Sorry for the rant
Enrigue but the significance to you is that I have found   a guy in northern
California who rebuilds them. I have just sent my old damper to him after
speaking to him at length about his process. He convinced me that he knew what
he is doing. He uses a special silicone rubber that has the proper consistency
and sets it all up on a lathe for alignment. He guarantees it for 3 years and
charged me $65.00 . I don't want to mention his name until I get mine back and
see how it looks but I will post the list with the results good or bad. There
is hope!
Now back to California Smog law rant:
I now own two vehicles that have been "Profiled" as Likely to pollute.
If they were REALLY interested in reducing pollution. Results at the tailpipe
should be all that matters, not the blind insistence on stock configuration
when better components are available.
Eugene Harrison
1979 MGB HEP (High Emitter Profile)
1984 Ford Van  HEP