Re: Blown Head gasket

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blown Head gasket
From: Michael C Taglieri <miket-nyc@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 02:52:32 -0500
>> I was under the impression, as told by a machinist, That all seats
>> manufactured these days are hardened.  "soft" seats are unavailable..

>> No one makes them "soft" anymore.

>This is true, but on the B heads the original seat was machined into the
head
>i.e. not removable.  The solution to wear was to cut a lip large enough
>insert a hardened seat.  This is where the hardened vs non comes in.

This explains the difference between these cars and British bikes I'm
familiar with.  When unleaded gas came to the US (and now to the UK),
Brit-bike lovers were filled with alarm until it became apparent that our
late '60's and '70's Nortons, Triumphs, and BSA's suffered no problems at
all.  They all had inserted seats, since the heads were alloy, and the
vehicles that had the most problems were big American cars that cut the
seat into the iron heads, which are much softer than any kind of inserts.

Mike Taglieri -- miket-nyc@juno.com