Freeze Plug

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Freeze Plug
From: "Tom Boes" <tjmga@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 19:02:22 -0500
I own a 73 MGB and I lost the soft plug at the rear of the block.  It looks
like a generic replacement plug as it has a rubber disc sandwiched between 2
steel discs, the rubber is compressed by tightening a nut on a stud. Is
there any advice out there on how to remove the plug from between the block
and the steel plate without seperating the engine from the transmission.
The hole in the plate is smaller than the plug and with the stud and nut it
is too thick to slide between the block and plate.  I have to ask; with this
type of engineering is this why there was no 1981 MG?