re: freeze plug

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: freeze plug
From: Dan Hackney <dhh2c@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:22:18 -0500
I finally got a new freeze plug today.  The auto part houses around
here are really horrible.  Out of 8 stores in 2 towns only one had
the correct plug, some didn't even carry them at all.

I used a bit of permatex blue sealant when reinstalling (before I saw
your message, Max).  It says it stays flexible and is "pressure
resistant."  We'll see.

The old plug was hammered in so far that the plugs concavity was
reversed, protruding about 1/8" from the plane of the circumference
of the plug.  I am guessing that whoever put it in there hammered too
much, reducing the size of the plug and thus the failure.

With the new one, I took care to just flatten it, so hopefully I have
the largest possible diameter of the plug and the strongest fit
possible.  Do you guys just flatten them or hit 'em even more?

Thanks for all the help, this list is indispensable (despite
sometimes conflicting information; but differing opinions stimulate
discussion and propagate knowlege in the end I think).

-Dan
1972 MGB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list