Re: GASOLINE IN OIL

To: Montgomery Morris <mmorris@nemr.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GASOLINE IN OIL
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 18:30:55 -0600
Montgomery Morris wrote:

> Hello all,
> car is now starting but....
>
> This 79B has been sitting for a month while I sent of the dizzy to be
> inspected. it ran fine when it was garaged. I converted last night to a
> points dizzy and got it started  but ran real rough and smoked like crazy
> from a gasket leak between the manifold and the catalytic converter. The
> oil dipstick now shows over a quart past the max level and the oil smells
> like gas. Not being a mechanic, I haven't a clue what this could be or how
> to test and remedy it. It seems to me that this could be the reason for
> fouling 2 sets of plugs (by the way can you just clean fouled plugs and get
> them back to normal?).

This is typical of cars with the mechanical fuelpumps that run off
the cam. If the diaphragm breaks or leaks they tend to dump petrol
into the sump. If you have an electrical pump, then I would suspect
that the pump is developing too much pressure, in which case you'll
need a fuel pressure regulator (about $15 or ten quid at a parts
store), or the float needle valve and seat is leaking and will need
to be replaced.

In any case, drain the oil and replace it before you run it again;
fuel saturated oil is not a very good lubricant and might even
provide a basis for a bad fire.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com