RE: Front engine plate leak

To: "E.Claure" <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Front engine plate leak
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:12:27 -0500
Hello Enrique:

On the re-threading thing: Sure you can re-thread it with a standard die. It
may not exactly match the size of the existing other threads but that would
be no big deal to me, as long as it holds tight and looks similar enough. It
is so seldom an area to need attention anyhow, I wouldn't worry too much
about it. I don't do concours myself, so from this angle it also wouldn't
matter to me either - and even if I did care, this would be so hard to
detect that I don't believe anybody would ever notice.

As far as the "warp" goes, depends on how much it is "warped/bent". A hammer
and some Permatex usually will do wonders! When you bolt the front cover on,
the bolts should draw it down tight enough, especially if you use lots of
the Permatex (or some similar paste type permanent sealer). I've got that
stuff (very neatly) all over my engine and guess what? I've got NO leaks
(right now). Probably the ONLY MGB in existence with no leaks though - and I
DO know that this is only temporary! It WILL leak one day (probably sooner
rather than later) because that is just the nature of the beast! MG's (and
British cars in general, leak)!

I don't believe a new plate is very expensive though. I straightened a lot
of stuff on mine with a hammer and my B is just fine. Sometimes though safe
rather than sorry is better. You'll have to be the judge.

The crankshaft seal is more often the source of leaks in this area. They get
weak, they harden, eventually get brittle, and then won't hold, even though
sometimes they won't LOOK bad. Make sure that you replace it, no matter
what. If you have too much crankshaft end play or wobble, due to badly worn
main bearings, a new seal won't hold too long.

That's it.

Good luck!

-Jerry Erbesfield
73 B Black Beauty roadster