Re: Cold Running Oil Pressure

To: "Colin Brown" <ccbrown@cwcom.net>, <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Running Oil Pressure
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:27:49 -0000
My V8 is also slower to reach max pressure from cold in freezing temps than
in summer, but not as slow as yours.  Possibly the oil in the capiliary is
very thick at low temps and its flow resistance against the tube walls is
enough to stop full pump pressure reaching the gauge.  However the amount of
flow in the capilliary is minimal so this seems surprising.  When you stop
for a moment freezing air is no longer being rammed into the engine
compartment, possibly allowing engine heat to warm the capilliary so
thinning the oil.  I changed my oil yesterday and was intending to
disconnect the union at the gauge and allow some clean oil to be pumped
through the capiliary to see if it made any difference, but got distracted.
I still intend to do it some time soon, though.