Re: Armstrong Lever Shock.

To: jnassif@ndu.edu.lb, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Armstrong Lever Shock.
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:56:02 EST

- - - - - - - - - -

>From everything I've heard, a rebuild is very difficult without the proper
tools and parts, and not very economical for a home mechanic.  I think some
black magic is involved.

You can test them by disconnecting the lever arm and moving it thru it's
entire distance.  This is easiest if you remove them from the car and put
them in a vise.  Wrap a rag around the body (the shock body!) so you don't
squish (technical term) it.  If it moves with resistance and has no slippy
('nother technical term) spots or oil leaks, it is fine.  If it is leaking
oil, have it rebuilt, no need to test the arm for smooth operation.

You can suck the old oil out with a turkey baster (don't tell the wife!) and
refill with motorcycle fork oil, say 20w for street use.

If a rebuild is necessary, send them to Peter C. at World Wide Auto Parts in
WI.  He does the BEST job and is very reasonable.  Contact Peter at
nosimport@mailbag.com.  Web site http://www.mailbag.com/users/nosimport

Peter, it's been a while since you have posted the care and feeding of lever
shox.  How 'bout it?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget