Re: gasoline coming out of overflow pipes on SU carbs

To: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gasoline coming out of overflow pipes on SU carbs
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:58:51 -0600
Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com wrote:

> Here's a further question that some of the replies prompted....   The only
> time that the gas flows/drips from the overflow pipes is when the engine
> is running.  If I simply turn on the ignition (but not start the car), the
> fuel pump (SU brand) clicks a few times and stops but no gas comes out of
> the overflow pipes.   As soon as I start the car, the gas starts coming
> out.  Does this tell me anything helpful?   If the needle valve was
> sticking open, wouldn't the gas leak out of the overflow pipe anytime the
> fuel pump is running even if the car is not?  Just curious.

Identical problem on the Cooper S, caused by too high fuel pressure
and vibration of running engine, which makes it harder for the
needle and seat to hold back the fuel. In-line fuel-pressure
regulator set to 2 pounds fixed it.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com