Re: BMIHT accuracy?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BMIHT accuracy?
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:11:37 -0600
Dan:

Well, your car GHN3L/49843 COULD have had 18GB-U-H 1815 originally as
the GB series was in all MGBs at 48767 (and some earlier cars). I guess
you should make ensure what you have in the car - a 3-main or 5-main!!!
It could be a huge coincidence, but stranger things have happened than
having an engine tag missing a 'B'.

Dave Q.
'62, '63, '65 Bs

> From Dan DiBiase
>
> Tom, I had an interesting experience with the folks at BMIHT when I requested
>the certificate for my '65 B project car. Based on my reading of Clausager's
>Original MGB, I suspected that the engine that is in the car was not the
>original engine (it is G-U-H/1815, a 3-main engine, and according the
>Clausager, the car should have GB-series 5-main). In addition, the number was
>way too low for it to be in chassis number 49843 from the beginning...
>However, I noted the G-series engine number on the request form anyways,
>figuring they would correct it. Well, when the form came back, it had the
>exact same engine number as the one I had sent in! I was able to obtain their
>fax number, and faxed them a note with a request that they double-check their
>records and I explained all of the above. They sent a new certificate within a
>few days, changing the 'G' to 'GB' but keeping the same engine number, 1815.
>They also attached a note explaining that the prefix is not listed in their
>records but they 'assume' it is GB ba

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///