Re:MGA Top End

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:MGA Top End
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:29:10 EST
In a message dated 17/01/02 9:04:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I knew if I didn't add a disclaimer about Twincams, Bill would feel
> compelled to respond... <g>

Actually, stock Twincam is the one thing I didn't list. Something like 113 or
something, isn't it (I'm at work and have no books).

BTW, the coupe is definitely slipperier, aerodynamically, and has a couple or
three mph on the roadster. I had one guy that thought that this meant that
the coupe was a better race car, and stuck to his guns, citing the road test
figures, until I pointed out that all bets were off if you removed the
windshield from the roadster!

I used to run a 1" high strip of plexiglass about a foot wide screwed to the
scuttle in front of the driver (and a full-face helmet) in the old days when
I was running a stock class and every fraction of an mph mattered. The guys
that wrote the rules had omitted to specify how high the screen had to be,
so.......

In dead stock form with balanced engine and ported head (to the gasket size -
and don't think I didn't compare EVERY make of gasket to see if any were a
little bigger!), my 1588 cc. MGA pushrod motor would allow a top speed of
around 110 mph, which wasn't bad in the class, and allowed me to 'top end' a
number of other equally powerful but aerodynamically inferior cars, and to
stay with such higher classed stuff as Morgans on top speed.

Ah - the good old days!

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list