Re: Speakers in a B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speakers in a B
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:09:47 EST
In a message dated 1/18/02 6:01:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
neilc@apphosting.com writes:

<< What is the largest diameter speaker I can fit into the B door
 cutouts _without_ cutting into the steel. Thats not an option for me. I hear
 4" for sure, but some tell of 5 1/4".. Which is it? :)

It has been too long for me to remember how big the speakers have been I have
put in my 3 Bs (one of these days I'm gonna buy a car that already has a good
stereo).  However, I can tell you there are actually two positions in the
door tha can handle a speaker without cutting metal.  The more "normal" one
is about one-third back from the front edge of the door, and that is the
larger of the two, I believe.  The second is toward the trailing edge of the
door.  The depth of both are about the same.  I have had to fashion small
extenders to get the magnets to clear the window mechanism.  If the other
speakers in your system will be under the dash, the rear position gives a
slightly fuller sound.  If you've putting two more behind the seat, go for
the forward slot.

J Donoghue
72B-GT
66 Mustang