Distributor choices

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributor choices
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:38:59 -0600
I've written before about our engine rebuild session currently going on.
I'm rebuilding an engine for my 74 MGB.  I also have a 74 MGB parts car.
The two cars are less than 1000 apart in serial number, with what I believe
to be original engines.  Looking at the 2 distributors, they are both 40897,
25D4 distributors.  I took them apart to clean then and find one has a
letter A and one has the letter E (I think) after the 40897.  Looking
further one has 10 degrees on the centrifugal advance and the other has 16
degrees.  I looked at Paul Tegler's site, but don't really understand all
the info contained in the distributor chart.

My question is which distributor would be best for normal street driving?
Obviously one will advance 10 degrees on the centrifugal advance and the
other 16 degrees, but what does this get me in terms of performance and
street drivability?  I'm rebuilding the engine stock and intend to use the
stock carbs.

Thanks,

Ken

///