Re: ballast resistor's

To: "Carter Tuggle" <goutvols2@home.com>, "mgs list"
Subject: Re: ballast resistor's
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:14:40 -0000
As Maynard has said it is nothing to do with the ballast resistor, but it
can be caused by a bad connection in the circuit that feeds power to the
resistor.  However the most likely cause is, again as Maynard says, one or
more faulty diodes in the alternator.  These usually cause the lamp to glow
brighter as more electrical load is placed on the system.  Depending on
which have failed and whether open-circuit or short-circuit the alt could be
putting out one or more of low voltage, reduced maximum current, excessive
heat and excessive noise.

With the engine running at about 1500rpm and with the light glowing measure
the voltage on the brown/yellow at the alt and a white at the multiplug by
the steering column.  Both should show about 14.5v.  For the lamp to be
glowing the voltages must be different.  If both are low but the
brown/yellow is lower than the white then the problem is in the alt.  If the
brown/yellow is correct and the white low then there is a bad connection in
the brown - ignition switch - white circuit feeding the ignition.

How soon you attend to it is up to you, but if your running voltage is much
less than 14.5v then you will gradually flatten the battery.

Hunt's fifth Law: "'new' parts can be faulty when you receive them; 'new'
parts will sometimes fail soon after fitting; 'new' parts almost certainly
won't last as long as the originals."

Some alternator testers seem unable to test all the functionality of an
alternator and often declare a bad alt to be good.