Re: Garage Heaters - slightly off topic

To: proot@horton.iaces.com
Subject: Re: Garage Heaters - slightly off topic
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 13:22:49 -0500
  October 2001 issue of Consumer Report reviewed CO detectors.
  All those tested met UL or IAS standards for false alarms.  They
suggest replacing batteries annually and replacing alarms older than five
years, after which sensing can degrade.
  My firm manages condominium properties. Since 1 December, three gas hot
air furnaces have been replaced because of cracked heat exhangers. One
home owner  (BMW owner) had removed the CO detector but figured out the
symptoms. One home owner had dead batteries but was clued in by the first
homeowner. One homeowner had fresh batteries and got the word when the
detector detected.
Bob

> I had a First Alert detector upstairs in our house. It went off one
> night. I first called my neighbor, a deputy fire marshall. He told
> me those were junk and to ignore it. My wife was still nervous, so
> we
> called the gas company. They cameout and sniffed everything. False
> alarm.
>
> I went back and talked to my neighbor. He told me the digital
> readouts were better, as the First Alerts' counters don't reset.
>
> I think I replaced the battery insert on the First Alert and
> after a month or two, had another false alarm, including the gas
> company coming out again. Good thing house calls are free. I got a
> digital one (seems it has a bird name as a company, I forget) and
> have had no problems since. That's 2 plus years.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///