Re: MGs could've been taken over by Aston-Martin

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGs could've been taken over by Aston-Martin
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:53:02 -0800
on 1/29/02 8:33 PM, Kai M. Radicke at kmr@pil.net wrote:

>> Hmmm... doesn't look like you'd get much cooling through that 1"
>> high grill opening... and it's still sitting way too high off the ground.
>> wouldn't think AM would have stood for that look for long ---
>> decidedly inelegant.
>
> It probably has comparable cooling to any late rubber bumper MGB, you've got
> to remember that they have two electric cooling fans in the engine bay also.
> So I doubt cooling was much of an issue.

Possibly. What prompted the comment was that the opening appeared to be
perhaps 25% of the area of even a RB grill, and less than 10% of the area of
a CB grill. As you say, they didn't have time to test it.

> I can't emphasis enough, the Aston MGB was a MAJOR rush job!  I think it was
> completed in a period of a few days... like I noted originally, the final
> product (in 1980) didn't even have a functional fuel cap.  It only gained a
> usable filler access panel and cap on the left rear fender when Aston sold
> it to a private member, and by law a car obviously required this feature!
>
> Another lister noted the windscreen height, and they felt the original
> roadster's windscreen was not a bad height.  Well I disagree, being 6'2" the
> top horizontal of the windscreen blocked my vision entirely when attempting
> to look at traffic lights (while stopped).  Either slouching or straining
> was required to view the stop lights.  I would have loved a taller
> windscreen.

Quite true. Though it looks strange with the taller screen, perhaps one
would get used to the look -- it's certainly more practical. But then
there's the issue of increased frontal area... <g>.  And one wonders what
the soft top would wind up looking like?

Thanks for posting the picture.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149