Nice Car ?-drifting off-topic

To: "Zubrovka" <zubrovka@earthlink.net>
Subject: Nice Car ?-drifting off-topic
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 22:45:07 -0000
Hi, John.

Well, I just thought I'd put in my comments. Body kit cars like this - there
were quite a few Fiero ones too - tend to retain aspects of what's
underneath.
Some of the kits I've tested relied almost entirely on the visual aspect.
How about, for example, Ford's 97 hp UK Pinto engine (Ford Cortina, Sierra)
and a 427 Cobra replica and an E-Type Jaguar replica - embarrassing!
The best U.S. replica I ever tried was a KVA GT40, with a 289, a genuine
GT40 gearbox and the carbs from a '60s racing Ford Falcon. I drove it at the
Donington Park Circuit test oval and it hit 60mph in 4.77.
When editor if 'Classics and Replicas', I awarded the magazine's 'Best
Replica' Trophy to the Litton Corsa, a replica of the Lancia Stratos with
Lancia Beta power. This was so close to the real things that owners of
genuine Stratoi used to buy them just to use, so their valuable 'real' cars
could remain pristine. Even some of the spares - windscreen, side glass,
door hinges, etc., fitted the genuine cars.
Just as an aside, my everyday car is an unbadged Vauxhall (GM) Cavalier.
Only those in the know are aware that it has the 2.5 litre, 170 hp, quad
cam, 24-valve V6 under the bonnet. Otherwise, it looks like a stock family
saloon - took the badges off to discourage the thieves and boy racers.
Again, it's fun but not quite in the same way as the Special Tuning BGT I
have.
I agree that the stock look is best but for one thing. Although my car is
1,600 chassis numbers astray of the change, I can't bring myself to fit the
recessed grille. Instead, I have the honeycomb grille, which looks far
better than the 'correct' grille and far less incorrect than the slatted
grille which came with the car.

All the best,
Dave Hill

> yeah,
> well I looked at a real Ace on the MGB Experience site and it looks
> nothing like the Cal Ace except the front and rear clips.  I guess it
> you put one together like that, everone from Corvettes to some kid in
> his mama's Buick would be wantin you to burn out at the red light!
> it would be like that old saying, "you talk the talk, can you walk
> the walk?"
> I think I'll stick to the stock look.
> John

///