Strange Ruff Running Engine Quiz

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange Ruff Running Engine Quiz
From: "Mike Winney" <mgb@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 15:42:29 -0700
Hello all,
I just corrected a ruff running engine problem that suddenly appeared that
had interesting symptoms.  Thought it might be fun to give the particulars
and see if anyone out there can come up with the cause.  I'll divulge the
answer by Wednesday  PM.
FACTS---68/9 MGB GT, Engine 18GF(de-smogged) HS4 carbs(62-67),  less than
700 miles on all ignition components inc. 45D4 dist., Lucas Sport Coil, Ign.
switch, points, Condenser, rotor, cap, wires.
CIRCUMSTANCE---Cold engine starts quickly ,readily revs to 5+k (at 6k
altitude).  After about 30 minutes drive engine began to run very rough.
Tach needle erratic, could barely keep running at stop.  Pulled #1 plug wire
with no change in engine speed.  Same for #2.  Only #3 and #4 were firing.
Then determined there was no HV in #1 & 2 plug wires.  Turned off engine.
Immediately restarted it and it ran normally again for awhile before problem
recurred.  I went through my usual check list, but couldn't figure why only
#1 & 2 spark loss with 3 & 4 firing normally.  And why would the engine
immediately restart?   Problem solved and corrected.  If no one gets answer
by Tuesday PM then I will give a couple of clues.    Good luck!
Mike Winney
68 MGB GT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list