Re: Paint and Bodywork questions

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@softhome.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint and Bodywork questions
From: "Martin Libhart" <mlibhart@kscable.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:49:57 -0600
Patton:

I, too, prefer the old single-stage acrylic enamel myself for the 'home
spray work" that I have done successfully.  For me, I use only Dupont
Centari Acrylic enamel with reducer and gloss hardener per the recommended
amounts for temp/humidity conditions at time of spraying.

Any good auto body supply house where you will purchase a name-brand product
such as Dupont, PPG, etc. can match color for you very well with the
appropriate paint codes.  For british cars, the paint codes are available on
a number of websites, and generally list the equvalent paint code for Dupont
products.

As for your other questions....  I own the harbor freight hammer and dolly
set, along with a shrinking hammer and a few other inexpensive tools for the
body work.  There are several good books on bodywork - most are avilable at
Barnes & Noble, amazon.com, etc.  As for the gun, HVLP is the best - such an
improvement over conventional guns.  If he can paint, he will adapt quickly
to the HVLP gun.

I would sure encourage you to pull the motor for painting the engine area.
A little extra effort, but well worth it.  I would hate to even think of
trying to mask around and still do a decent job.  You didn't say what car
you have, but most will have fuel lines, brake lines, coil, relays, fuse
box, heater unit, and so much other stuff to remove that you'll find there
isn't much left to do except a few more bolts and connectors to just pull
the motor.  It's a great time to clean it and paint it as well if you're so
inclined.  It becomes one of those jobs that the more you do, the more
satisfied you are because of the way it will look in the end.

Good luck!

Martin
72 MGBGT