Paint and Bodywork questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint and Bodywork questions
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 12:45:34 -0600
Hey guys,

I am about to start stripping my car to bare to prepare for my paint.  My
father has painted a couple older cars with Acrylic Enamel that looked
great (one has been a consistent show winner) but he is only comfortable
with that painting system.  He also didn't have to do the body work on
either car as they were both blasted and prepped before he sprayed them.

He has volunteered to paint the car when he and my mom are here after the
baby arrives in May.  I need to have the car ready.  My plans are to strip
most of the car with 80 grit using my DA, then following up with 120 grit
to smooth.  Areas I can't get to easily with the sander, I plan to use
chemical strippers.  I also plan to remove the body filler that is there,
work the dents out better if possible, and go with a more modern
system.  The filler that is on the car is not that deep, but I don't know
what's under it plus it is 10 years old.

I am not expecting a show car in light of the small budget I have due to
the impending baby, but I do want it to look nice.

Here are my questions.
- How do I best find a Acrylic Enamel paint to match the factory color? (I
don't have a sample as my car was resprayed by a PO)

- Do you have any suggestions as far as a paint brand/source?

- What is good book covering basic body work to guide me on prepping my car
for paint?

- I don't have a set of hammers and dollys yet, I know you get what you pay
for, but what is the difference between the $20 Harbor Freight set and the
$200 sets?  Will my unskilled hands be able to utilize the difference?

- I have a HVLP gun, what is the difference in use? I like the idea of less
paint and reduced overspray, but my father has never used one, and if it is
too different, I will get him to bring his Binks.

- I will remove as much as I can, but I will probably leave the engine in
the car, how is the best way to strip down and paint the engine bay with
the motor still there?

Thanks in advance, and comments are appreciated, if you think I am doing
something very wrong, let me know. My goal is to get the car on the road
for MG2002 in Grapevine.  My wife and I have to be up there that weekend
anyhow for a wedding, and if I get the B on the road by them, I will take
the week off and go to the convention. If I can get the bodywork done, I
will find a way to make the rest happen!!!!

Patton