Re: Intake

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Intake
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 19:16:19 EST
In a message dated 06/03/02 3:45:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Lets add to that that DCOEs were developed for racing
> applications and suffer at low rpms because they are designed
> and tuned only for the top end.  They are a poor choice for a
> daily driver unless you drive in 'binary mode' like my rally co-
> driver.  That is, either full throttle or full brake!

Not so, grasshopper!

Webers were designed for both road and racing use, on Italian cars. The sad
fact is that when you buy a new one, it comes jetted for some standard
application - usually a Fiat or Alfa, and the people that buy them for MGs or
what have you, don't have clue #1 about rejetting them properly, nor setting
them up and tuning them.

If they are set up right (and that's a HUGE 'if'), they can be quite
flexible. My Lamborghini, which uses 6 - 40 DCOEs will pull from 1000 rpm in
5th gear all the way up to a theoretical 165 mph, smoothly, if you put the
pedal to the floor at 1000.

Both of my MG powered race cars also use twin Webers, but I have spent a LOT
of time getting them right, and they both have 4 intake ports (the TVR - for
sale, BTW, guys - uses an HRG crossflow head, and the MGA is a Twincam).

I agree completely that a pair of SUs - 1.5" for stock, or 1.75" for rorty
action, are much better than any poorly tuned Weber. The DGV is a waste of
space, used mostly by people taken in by the ads of the vendors that sell
them, or influenced by the bragging rights that saying they have a Weber
gives them.

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list