Re: How much to ship an engine

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>,
Subject: Re: How much to ship an engine
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 18:43:10 -0500
Andrew Lundgren wrote:

> Kai pointed us to a cheap freight shipper:
>
> forwardair
>
> go to forwardair.com
>
> They wanted $31/100lbs from MN to CO.

Yup, check Forward Air.  I'll add to that, a new subsidiary of UPS, UPS
Logistics.  Shane Ingate on the 6-Pack list (no, not what you're thinking)
wrote:  "They ship anything, any size, any weight.  Door-to-door.  Call them
at 800-462-7872.  The sub to freight companies.  They are lean and hungry
for business.  I just shipped 300lbs/32 cubic feet coast-to-coast,
door-to-door, for $191."

Bare blocks, if cleaned at your machine shop, are not given HAZMAT status!
So spend the extra $40 to have it boiled, and save a lot in the
environmental fees that the freighters stick on (some don't bother, but some
do).  I had an OD Gearbox shipped to me from MO, via Forward Air, and it
required no caustic/harmful materials status even though it did have some
oil left in it and some grease on the outside.

Bare A Series engine blocks will ship UPS, I've on more than one occasion
just dropped them in a box and shipped them right through regular UPS.  B
Series blocks are a bit bigger and quite a bit heavier.

Kai

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///