Lumpy idle

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lumpy idle
From: "Jeff Sharpe" <jgsharpe@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:37:50 -0500
Hi list,

Trying to track down a lumpy low idle on my '71 B that has eluded me for a
long time.  Seems like it would be a vacuum leak, but not sure.  All ports on
the intake are plugged currently (found the vac advance was shot today, so I
disconnected it and plugged that port).  I'm wondering about the remaining
emission plumbing, and if it could be a factor.  Air Pump and Run-On valve are
gone.  A 'Y' line from the carbs and a line from the fuel tank evap are both
connected to the top of the charcoal canister.  The large port on the bottom
of the canister has a plug in it.  The valve cover breather is not connected
to anything.  I tried connecting the valve cover port to the top of the
canister, and unplugging the lower port - no change.  I'm probably way off
track, but I've been through the carbs, timing etc over and over.  A clue may
be that it runs rich, even if I lean out the mixture all the way (air cleaner
off).  By the way, carbs are orig HS4's, AUD 465, reshafted about five years
ago (and slightly leaky), new needles/seats/floats.  Looked at the needles
today and they are both marked AAL.  What am I missing?

Thanks for your help -  Jeff

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///