Re: Junk Yard Titles

To: zubrovka@earthlink.net, Priveye997@aol.com
Subject: Re: Junk Yard Titles
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:50:20 -0500
John said:

> I am a Civil Law Notary and if the car has been abandoned at the junk
yard, the yard can apply for a title based on non-payment of storage fees.
What they do is run the VIN for the owner and send a certified letter with
the total fees owed. If there is no repsonse, the junk yard or garage,etc
can apply for a title.

> Or if it has a value of less than $3000.00 , you can go to a Justice of
the Peace, swear an affadavit that the car was abqandoned and the JP can
grant an order for the DMV to issue you a title.

> CAVEAT: This is the way it is in Louisiana but perhapsw there are similar
remedies in other states.

More exciting CA car laws: cars can no longer be retrieved from junk yards
in CA.  Any car that goes to a junk yard in CA can never be registered
again.  This is why I recently drove from NH to CA and back to retrieve a
'67B that was about to be junked.

This is the car with the rusted through panel that the heater and pedal box
mount to that I was asking about.  I'm still trying to decide if I'm going
to save the car, but because I kept it from a CA junkyard, there is still a
legal title in existence for this VIN.  Maybe someday I'll replace every
part on this car with the parts from another car without a title.
ALthough, it's getting to the point where I could make another car from my
spare parts. :-)

Denise

We'll see if this message gets through.

--- Denise Thorpe