Re: Suspension

To: "Maynard Hirsch" <mghirsch@netzero.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension
From: "james" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:58:49 -0700
Alright, lets give this a shot (with a lot of included assumptions).

Lets pick some weights:
Car: probably 2200# by the RBB years
Engine/trans: 400#
Unsprung weight (tires/wheels, kingpins, rear axle, etc):400#
all are rough guesses.
So if we take the sprung weight 2200 subtract unsprung 400 we end up raising
1800 pounds roughly 2 inches because I think this is how much the RBBs
moved.  If we then take the 400# of the driveline and move it back down 2
inches, which I believe to be grossly overstated but simple, then we have
moved 1400 pounds or 64% of weight 2 inches up so the CG moved 1.28 inches
up.
Now if we add people, lets say 300pounds worth, then we move 1700 of 2500
pounds or 68% up 1.36 inches.  So in my very rough estimate the CG moved up
1 1/3 inch but I suspect it was much closer to the two that the suspension
moved.  Either way,this winds up being a very big change and would be very
noticeable (as it proved to be).

james