Re: Aiiee - NOOOOOO -- tie rods and gaiters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aiiee - NOOOOOO -- tie rods and gaiters
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:20:18 EST
In a message dated 3/19/02 5:44:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> The catalog attempts to explain (I'm
> sure it DOES explain to someone who knows what they are doing :-) how to
> remove the tie rod end using these two hammers but I'm not understanding
> very
> well (after all I'm a biology teacher and a tie rod is not LIVING!). Do you
> put pressure downward on the steering lever with a big hammer and then tap

This suggestion and all the answers I saw are WRONG!!!!

If you go wailing away on the nut with a big hammer, chances are you'll
bugger something up.

The taper of the pin fits very tightly in the tapered hole, even when the nut
is removed. You want to break this close connection.

Take 2 reasonably heavy hammers, one in each hand. Put one on each side of
the steering arm in which the tie rod end is stuck. Hit both sides of the eye
of the steering arm at exactly the same instant with both hammers, one coming
from each side. This may take some practice - on something you don't care
about, preferably. I have even seen people that were too uncoordinated to be
able to hit with both hands at the same instant. They should get someone more
co-ordinated than they are to do the hitting.

You don't have to wail away on them - a good sharp whack on each side at the
same instant deforms the eye of the steering arm, making it a little bit
oval, rather than round, I suppose, but in any case, it is just enough to
break the tie rod end free. Done properly, you just give a crack and lift the
tie rod end out.

Much better, and much less destructive than wailing away on the nut, which
may never result in freeing the tie rod end, but will almost certainly damage
something.

Automotive Visigoths!!

Bill Spohn

///