Re: Aiiee - NOOOOOO -- tie rods and gaiters

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aiiee - NOOOOOO -- tie rods and gaiters
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:27:49 -0000
Hello,

Hitting from both sides at once? Works fine-for jugglers but seems to me a
good way of killing the balljoint boot. Here's a way that works for me...

1. Take one big hammer - 2 to 4lb. - and hold it against the side of the tie
rod eye that is least accessible.
2. Take a smaller hammer and hit the opposite side of the eye.

In this, the role of the big hammer is more that of a dolly or anvil - it
stop you bending the steering arm. As you hit, the big hammer will bounce
away from the eye (Newton's 1st law of motion and all that). Just put it
back where it was before hitting again.
Remember that with the arm supported, you can hit it quite hard -  it won't
bend but the eye will distort and make the joint pop.

Have fun,

David Hill
York, UK
'72 Special Tuning BGT