carb damper oil refill

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: carb damper oil refill
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:22:05 -0800
I'm evidently not filling the damper in my 79B ZS carb properly. All manuals
say to take the air filter off, lift the air piston and fill the damper tube
to within a quarter inch of the top. I've tried it this way, and I've also
filled the tube with an eyedropper without taking the air filters off and
raising the piston.
Either way, when I reinsert the damper piston into the oil it has much
resistance and oil just "squishes" out when I force it down.
What am I doing wrong? Do I put the oil in on top of the damper and fill it up
or remove the damper to fill it? I'm only supposed to get resistance when the
damper cap is within a centimeter or so from the threads.
I don't think there is supposed to be ANY oil on the OUTSIDE of the air piston
or down in the interior of the carb throat, is there?
Thanks,
Monte 79B and 74 1/2 parts car
Kahoka, MO USA

///