Re: Will a 74 engine fit a 77B?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Will a 74 engine fit a 77B?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:40:40 -0800
I have heard this before but I have to say that from personal experience it
is not absolutely correct. My 1977 OD tranny fit fine in my 66 B. The issue
is the shifter location -- it requires relocating the hole atop the tunnel
some 2 or 3 inches to the rear. The problem is that the shifter hole in a
Mk. 1 is located in a separate bolt-on tunnel top panel, and the new
location is awkwardly straddling the rear edge of this piece. Doug Jackson's
British Automotive web site sells an elongated replacement top cover for
this application, or you could weld one up from two donor covers. Then you
just have to elongate the opening in the tunnel.

I think the later tranny tunnel IS wider, but it wasn't in order to fit the
4-syncro box -- it was to accommodate the V8 installation.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///