Re: Head Gasket trick...

To: Scott Hower <HowerSL@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Head Gasket trick...
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:40:09 -0600
Scott Hower wrote:

> >I can remember reading an article somewhere about installing a head
> >gasket on a B series engine using thin copper wires to "enhance" the
> >seal. Does anyone know about this and where it can be found?
> >

> Ron,
>
> I believe this was a suggestion from John Twist.  As I recall, the exact
> quote is: "all B series heads weep between (cylinders) 2 and 3; some
> actually piss."   This wire trick was his suggested fix: two or three thin
> coppre wire strands were twisted together and embeded in silicone
> sealent(?!).  Seems a bit dodgy to me, but the man knows far more than I do
> about things MG!   Has anyone actually tried this?

I used a similar trick on an 850 racing engine in a Mini-minor in
the 60's.

I was revving it over 7,000 rpm and it had a tendency to erode the
head gaskets. I ran a thin copper wire circle around each bore on
top of the head gasket. The ends of the wire circle were twisted
together and laid out so the twisted ends were to the side of the
bore-line and not between the bores. I didn't use any sealant with
this. It seemed to work, since it held everything until the next
rebuild. The next rebuild, I had obtained a solid copper gasket (the
others, including the wire-looped one, had been the multilayer
composite gaskets).

That little engine lasted for a season and a half and then blew its
bits all over the track at Harewood Acres.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rockyfrisco/racing.html

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com