Future Classics

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Future Classics
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:04:48 -0500
I have been avoiding this thread because I have too many opinions on it.
And, not enough time to respond, or money to satisfy my own penchant for
buying "classics."  HOWEVER,...

John Zubrovka posted a list of cars he considers "classics."  I have to
agree with him on some.  But, a word of warning - caveat emptor.  (Well, two
words)  Here are my opinions:

1976-1979 Cadillac Seville (timeless good looks)  -These cars have never
lost their appeal.  In many urban areas you can find many of them being
driven by young car lovers.  And, the prices are low.

1980-1984 Cadillac Seville (that wild Rolls Royce retro look) - Sorry, UGLY!
I was at the press conference when this car was introduced & even the
General Mgr. of Caddy at the time couldn't justify the design.

1971-1973 Buick Riviera (boat tail styling)  Yes, a popular style & fetching
good prices.  But, the real classic is the first body style that precedes
this.

1968-1973 Oldsmobile Toronado - Include the '67, as they stretched the trunk
in '68 or was it '69?  Problem is parts.

1969-1972 Pontiac GrandPrix SJ  - Yupp!

1970-1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS  - Have been hot for years.  Best value
here are real low mileage cars OR the later ('86??) Monte with the fastback.
The first year has the lowest production numbers.

1969-1974 Lincoln Continental Mark 3 & 4  - They will appreciate.  Didn't
they have special editions?  They are the best bet.

1967-1971 Ford Thunderbird 4 door Landau - I don't know about these.  I
think you would be better off with earlier convertibles, as expensive as
they may be already.  Remember, if the top goes down, the price goes up.

1976-1996 Jaguar XJS  - The only ones of value are the coupes, - especially
the V-12.  Rarity will bring future value.  And, many have been converted to
Chevy power or had their vinyl roof coverings removed.  So the few that were
made are even fewer because of bastardization.

BMW 3.0 CS coupe -  Forget it!  The CS has been on every car magazines list
of "Best" cars of all time for years.  The design is incredibly beautiful.
I just sold mine on 9/11/01.  I was so upside down in that car it was
ridiculous.  They ARE great cars.  But, to date, there is no market for
them.  And, I hear that BMW is no longer supplying parts.  Even back in the
early '90's when I started working on mine, few OE parts were available.  I
bought one of the last 5 O.E. wooden dashboards in the world back then.
And, they are incredibly rust prone.  If you think MG's get rusty - forget
it.  "You ain't seen nuthin' til you've seen a CS up close & ugly."

BMW 6 series coupe  - Even worse.  Great cars, but...  At least the 3.0CS
has rarity going for it.  The only 6 series coupe that MIGHT hold value is
the M6 or L6.

Among MG's the T-series will always have their fans.  They are unique and
historical cars.  But, the MGA's & B's are the ones that will appreciate as
they serve multi purposes.  They are "classics", they are practical drivers
and the are affordable.  Although I am seeing more and more at, near or even
above $20,000.  But, then if I ever added all of the $$ I have put, and
continue to put into my '66 MGB...  That's where I would be, & it isn't a
100 point show car.  And, never will be since I drive it so much.

My list of "Favorite" classics included a lot of coupes too.  The BMW CS as
noted, some of the cars on Johns's list & other classics like the '53
Studebaker Starlight coupe Raymond Lowey designed - still inexpensive if you
can find one, and my all-time favorite roadster - '56, '57 Corvette in
triple red with F.I. & hardtop.  Lately, I have been lusting over the Alfa
Giulietta SZ coupe of the early '60's.  But at $50M to 90M, not likely right
now.  All the more reason to stick to my LBC's

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB
'59 Turner soon to be ready to drive & race - I hope.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///