RE: Float Level Checking on HIF4

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Float Level Checking on HIF4
From: "Scott Hower" <HowerSL@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:39:10 -0500
Herr Dorsch,

As fate would have it, I just set the float level on my HIF4's last night.
Do this:

First, unscrew and remove the damper/rod.
Unscrew the three screws from the suction chamber and remove it.
(Don't loose the little ID tag :-)
Remove the spring and piston.
Flip the carb over and remove the 4 screws from the float bowl cover.
Remove the cover and set it aside.

Find yourself a straightedge that will span the bottom of the carb casting.
This should be placed so that it crosses in the middle of the float and is
perpendicalar to the float pivot screw.  You want .04 to .06 inch of
clearance from the top of the float to the bottom of your straightedge.  I
use the extension end of a cheap vernier caliper to measure this distance.
If you have one, zero the caliper at the width of your straightedge.
Keeping the caliper open, flip it over and set the end on the top of the
straightedge.  Extend the tip .04 in.  It should clear the float.  Repeat at
.06 in.  It should depress the float.  Gently(!) bend the brass tab at the
needle tip as needed.  If you dont have a caliper, a bent feeler gauge might
fit under the straightedge (2 back to back blades to get the proper
thickness).  Failing that, find something just over 1 millimeter thickness
that will fit.

Good luck and report back with your success!

--Scott