Re: Oil pressure

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:40:58 -0800
Assuming the gauge is at all accurate (a big assumption), that sounds a
little low. But what does it read at, say, a 3000rpm cruise? On an older
engine the idle pressure can get pretty low, but it's the oil pressure under
load that probably is critical. For comparison, my motor (which is in the
25K miles range) idles at 40psi, and reads 70+ at highway speeds.

What is the mileage on your engine? I wouldn't be getting overly concerned
(in college my buddy drove a B for a year with 5psi at warm idle, 25 at
speed), but I might take it as a clue about the general state of wear.

Some other folks were concerned about too high oil pressure -- I wonder if
the difference between 75 - 80 - 85 psi is worth worrying about, or if it's
within the range of error expected of the gauge, or due to different oil or
other factors.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149