Re: Dashpot oil

To: Mgbbob@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 23:01:47 -0600
Mgbbob@aol.com wrote:

> Hi there, VWP
> I've used Marvel Mystery oil in my daspots with excellent results for years.
> It's less viscous than 20-50 and is a better choice.

Haven't tried that one yet, though it has been a standard mechanic's
tool in my family, going back two generations. MMO is a really
superior "cutting oil" for drilling or milling or sawing steel and
is definitely better than nothing with aluminium and alloys. It's a
good top cylinder oil for cleaning up poor neglected old engines or
those who have been running mistuned for long periods of time.

Experience says each engine has its own quirky characteristics; one
of the racing practices years ago was to do timed laps on the track
with different oils in the dashpot. Take the dashpot off and the cap
off and have it upside down and shake the oil out; re-install and
add different oil. try another two timed laps. See how it feels and
how the clock comments. Everybody had their favorite, but there was
no one answer that would work for everybody.

I had fantasies about a mix tunable from the dash, with the
understanding that the most powerful mix would quickly destroy the
engine, so it would not be allowed to get that lean. I haven't yet
tried to do it, but I know a bloke, a good friend, who just might.
:)

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com