Re: It turns, but not all th eway

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: It turns, but not all th eway
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 00:01:51 -0600
BarrMark262@aol.com wrote:

> Hi List: As I reported a few days ago, I felt so good that the soaking of my
> siezed engine in Mystery Oil and PB Blaster unfroze it, I forgot to try to
> turn the crank full circle.
> No such luck. It stops short of 360 degrees either way I turn it. Almost
> makes it, but not quite. It stops rock hard too.
> I will of course be taking the entire engine apart, but this sounds a little
> ominous. Broken rod and/or stuck piston ???

Probably not. Stuck piston = almost no movement of crank.

It's not a Mini; Pop the sump off.

(With a Mini, the transmission and final drive/diff are in the sump,
so you have to pull the clutch and transfer case off the side to
split the block off the sump.)

With A's and B's and Spridgets, it's a two-dollar gasket and some
good sealer and pop off the sump and have a look.      ;)

If it's an old engine, long sealed away from the world and the oil
pressure is a bit tatty, I would pull the big-ends and replace them
and maybe the oil-pump. Might be a good time to upgrade the
flow-capability of the pump.

I once bought a Mini engine that would do what you describe. I had
it apart and found out that it was the spin-on oil-filter conversion
the DPO had been trying to install; The too-long bolts he had tried
to use fouled the crank. He had given up and sold the engine as
scrap. The Breaker's recognized it as a Mini and called me up
(former employee / friend) and sold it to me for almost nothing
(scrap steel prices). Other than the wrong bolt, it was a very good
engine, very nicely built and torqued and all. Damned sad he didn't
have an LBC friend to help him get it running.

 -Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com
JJ Cale Live (w/Rocky): http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm