other wiper question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: other wiper question
From: "james" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 00:11:34 -0600
Since David has the picture up, I have a semi related wiper question
involving the arms on my '71BGT.  Looking at the picture, the roadster
blades turn up (in relation to the picture) and the GT blades turn down.
When installed on the cars the roadster blades will park parallel to the
bottom of the windshield, while the GT blades will not.  They will park at
30 degrees or so from parallel thus sticking up into the field of view.  My
OE arms did this, as did the replacement arms I bought.

It seems to me that the roadster arms have the correct bend for the way the
blades move in a LHD car, while the GT blades are correct for the movement
expected in a RHD car.  Why is this?

I ended up drilling out the rivet in the middle of the arm, rebent it,
flipped it over and reriveted it so that they now park parallel to the
bottom of the windshield.  The two bends I needed were to reverse the bend
that the spring hooks to, and to reverse a shallow ~5 degree bend in the
middle of the arm.  All appears well right now, but I haven't tried to run
the wipers yet.  I was able to do all of this without damaging the chrome on
the new arms.

james