Re: Worst cars

To: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Worst cars
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:40:15 -0500
ATWEDITOR@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/10/02 9:44:25 AM, Nory3@webtv.net writes:
>
> << I had a Chevette, and had the same problem.  It also needed annual brake
> jobs and went through tires almost as fast.
>
> The biggest aggravation was the broken alternator brackets, which I
> wouldn't become aware of until the battery turned up dead.  The third
> time it happened, I charged up the battery, took the car down to the
> dealer, and traded it in towards a used Blazer.  On a subsequent visit
> to the dealer two weeks later, I was told they haven't been able to
> start the car since I parked it there --for all I know, it's still
> sitting there.
>
> Surprisingly, we actually see a Chevette driving around the neighborhood
> now and then - must be the only good one they made... >>
>
> The amazing thing is how some of the car magazine sluts slobbered all over
> the Chevette when it first came out.  I think it was a guy at Car & Driver
> who said it was so much FUN, and proved that Americans could make quality
> small cars.   As far as being an "expert" goes, that is up there with Motor
> Trend giving the Mustang II (a Pinto in sexy clothes) its Car of the Year
> award.
>
> Jay Donoghue

When I got out of grad school, I bought a Isuzu Impulse Turbo. It used
the Chevette chassis, and little else. It wasn't a great car, but it was
a lot of fun. It handled pretty well (Lotus Tuned plus sticky
Bridgestones). I also thought it was fast, until I drove my brothers
Eagle Talon Turbo of the same vintage.

But it had many quirks. Like a panel had to be removed to change the oil
(or was it just the radiator). 6 or 8 bolts, which several were lost by
the oil change place (don't recall which one).

The most annoying problem was the typical junky GM paint peeling off the
  side mirror. First and last GM I'll ever buy. At least I lost a lot of
money on the deal.

Most frightening thing I've done in a car was drive it 120 miles to Eau
Claire from the Twin Cities back in '91, the Sunday after the 30 inch
Halloween Snow storm, to get my snow tires. Then back. I did a 3 swing
lock-to-lock pendulum thing on 494 in Woodbury, 30 feet down on either
side of the highway.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155