Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

To: Lawrie@britcars.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
From: CFritz7001@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:43:00 EDT
    FWIW, I heartily agree with Laurie re the Tiger Moth.  It was definitly a
British plane of pre-WW2 vintage, used by the RAF as a primary trainer and
observation plane.  I think that one of them was also the very first airplane
to be flown solo from England to Australia.  As I recall, the pilot was none
other than Sir Francis Chichester, the famous sailor.  (Come to think of it,
his E to A plane May have been a Gypsey Moth (made by the same company as the
TM), since he named his round-the-world-solo yacht "Gypsey Moth".)  In any
event, these planes had only the most rudimentary instrumentation !!
Regards,
Carl Fritz
TC # 6756 (Betsy)
VA # 2009 S  (Abigail)