alternator

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: alternator
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:10:43 -0500
Great day here in Missouri-70 degrees, sunny and MG weather!
After 7 months on blocks, got the B running today. It runs great,
but..............
After about 35 miles, I passed a car on the highway going about 65, heard a
loud noise as I was passing. Noticed my fuel and temperature gauges were not
working and a loud noice coming from the water pump/ alternator region. Got
home and listened closely; determined it was coming from the alt.
Loosened it and found a couple of the "fins" were bent. Pounded them back in
with a hammer, tightend the belt and no more noise. Checked number 3 fuse and
it is OK-so don't know what happened to the gauges-or what caused the
alternator to do this as I was accelerating around the car.
Any ideas?

Monte 79B and 74 1/2 parts car
Kahoka, MO USA