Stumblin' BGT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stumblin' BGT
From: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 05:50:38 +0430
Hi,

Ran into a problem with the BGT today, ('74 1/2) and hopefully someone on
the list has had a similar experience and can point me in the correct
direction.

Here's the scenario(s): car's warm, choke is all the way in.  I go and fire
her up and run her at low speed in the neighborhood to do some errands.
After some five minutes, the car stumbles, loses power, backfires a bit and
dies.  I fire her up again and she starts but the rpms get to 1500 or so and
she dies again.  I hop out, and disconnect the fuel line to see if I have
fuel when the ignition is on, (I do) I then pull the dizzy cap to check the
cap and rotor, (had a rotor go out on me once) and they're fine.  I then
pull the battery cover and check the charge on the battery, (in case the alt
went bad) and I've got 12.8 volts.

I then hop in the car and try and start her and after stumbling a bit the
rpms go to 3k or so, and she's off...

So I'm scratching me head, and decide to take her out on the main drag near
the house to get her above 55mph, and once again after five minutes or so
she starts losing power, stumbles and backfires like she's going to die.  I
pull off but she never quite dies, and I put the accelerator to the floor.
Sure enough, she stumbles a bit, coughs, and then the rpms go to 3k or so
and we're off again.

I get home without incident.

So I'm wondering were to start.  I'm going to check the points and condenser
on the morrow regardless, but like I said I'm wondering if this has happened
to anyone else.

Oh yeah, I replaced the coil 7k ago.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Allen